How the Coach Supports the Attorney
- Provides a perspective of client's strengths, as well as behaviors/attitudes that could create potential mine fields during litigation.
- Maintains for the client the positive energy and supportive environment created by the attorney.
- Provides validation/encouragement to the client that enhances the attorney's efforts.
- Clarifies the message of the attorney to keep accurate information flowing between attorney and client.
- Collaborates with counsel, to trouble-shoot and analyze ways to keep the client focused.
- Maintains the plan/strategy created by the attorney to keep client on course.
How the Coach Champions the Client
- Provides training for the client in new approaches to enhance or develop credibility through solid communication skills.
- Provides feedback to client and attorney, incorporating video and/or audio-taping of client for purposes of improving presentation.
- Guides the client in conveying authenticity.
- Motivates the client to improve performance through skill-building, including self-confidence.
- Harnesses emotions, according to cues from the attorney, through self-awareness.
- Reframes negative thought patterns and view of the courtroom and legal system as a positive, rather than hostile environment.
- Improves the client's best efforts in navigating this legal process.
- Exhibits understanding, caring, and respect for the client's vulnerability, while preserving and reinforcing the dignity of the client.